Powered by Blogger.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Tornado Nightmare!

Wow, so to go all the way back to last Wednesday April 27.  A day that will forever be an important date in Tuscaloosa history. Thank the good Lord I left work at the hospital around 4:10, about 40 minutes before the tornado hit 50 yards from the hospital!!! I knew Reagan was safe up on the lake at Mee Mee and Grandpas (where TC also was). I came straight home since Murphy was outside and talked to TC on the phone. Decided I would be fine that probably the weather would miss us (YEAH RIGHT) and I would just stay home with the dog. Well, long story short, I sat in the bathtub with Murphy and felt like my heart was jumping out of my chest as I watched James Spann show a HUGE tornado rip right thru the heart of Tuscaloosa. In the aftermath, as I sit and look at pictures and watch youtube videos people posted, I still cannot wrap my head around the devastation. You have to see it with your own eyes to believe it. It is absolutely unreal. I cry every time I start looking at pictures people have posted. Our town has been destroyed. That is the only word to describe it, DESTROYED. But, at the same time the volunteers have been amazing. You can see people pull together to help one another and show their love for their neighbors. I cannot praise our Mayor Walt Maddox enough. Wow, he has done an excellent job and deserves some major credit. He would get my vote next year if I lived in the city!

And as bad as this sounds yes, we still went on our beach trip. TC and Bill volunteered all day Thursday and we left after that. The beach was beautiful and we had an amazing trip, but all of us had heavy hearts for our town. This week I will be putting in my time volunteering. And tomorrow I have already decided as much as I really hate blood and needles I am going to go donate. It is a weird feeling knowing I can't just ride down 15th Street like normal and swing in the Taco Casa drive-thru. Oh yeah, and I luckily had 2 Krispy Kreme doughnuts Wednesday morning. What are the odds? I am selfishly going to really miss those in the next few months.

No comments: